European Registration Certificate: Moving within Europe

6 de September, 2023

European Registration Certificate: Moving within Europe

European Registration Certificate: Moving Within Europe Made Easy. Your Comprehensive Guide to Simplify Relocation. Explore More!
Reading: 5 min

One of the great advantages of having European citizenship, such as Portuguese citizenship or Spanish citizenship is having the right to live, work and study in any member country of the European Union. However, in order to secure this right, it’s not enough to just pack your bags and set sail for the new country. If you intend to stay for more than three months, you’ll have to notify the authorities in your destination territory via the European Registration Certificate. This document is also called Certificate of Registration of a Citizen of the European Union
(Certificado do Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia – CRUE). It serves to formalize your residence in the new country you have chosen to live in.

If you are planning to to move to another country within the European Union (EU) here’s how to comply with the legal requirements and avoid problems with the local government. Find out who needs to apply for European registration, what documents are required and how to apply.


I’m a European citizen and I want to live in another European country, do I have to get a permit?

If you already have European citizenship, you don’t need a visa or a permit to enter the country. But if you want to live in your new destination for more than 3 months, you will need to obtain a European Registration Certificate.

What is the European Registration Certificate?

In a nutshell, we can say that the
European Registration Certificate
is an official document that formalizes the right of residence citizens of the EU/EEA/Switzerland, as well as their family members, in European countries other than the one of which they are a national.

Who should apply for the European Registration Certificate (CRUE)?

The CRUE is aimed at citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, the Principality of Andorra and Switzerland whose stay in the new destination has lasted more than three months.

It is important to clarify that the need for this document only applies to those who intend to live in the new destination for more than three months. For stays of up to 90 days, it is sufficient to have a valid identity card or passport.

When should I apply for the CRUE?

The CRUE can be requested after three months of entry into national territory, within a period of up to 30 days.

Where to get your CRUE?

The document can be requested from the municipal or police services in your new area of residence. Check with your chosen country of residence for the exact location and opening hours.

Family reunification through the Certificate of Registration

In the case of the Certificate of Registration, you can apply for family reunification:

  • Spouse;
  • Descending to the age of 21;
  • Descendants over the age of 21 who can prove they are dependent;
  • Ascendants dependent on the holder of the right.

What documents are needed for the CRUE

First, you need to check your status: worker, pensioner or student? As a rule, you’ll have to submit:

  • Valid identity document or passport
  • Declaration on your honor that you are engaged in a subordinate or independent professional activity in the country


  • Declaration on your honor that you have sufficient financial resources for yourself and family members
  • Health insurance, public or private (see agreement between the countries in question)
  • For students, you must present proof of enrolment at the educational establishment

How long does it take for the CRUE to be ready?

It is delivered at the time of ordering.

How much does CRUE cost?

In Portugal the document costs 16€. The price of the European Registration should not exceed the price of the identity document paid by nationals.


Can I live in another country without a CRUE?

You must not do this for periods longer than 3 months. Fines range from 500€ to 2500€.

When can I apply for permanent residence?

The permanent permit document can only be granted after 5 years of legal residence in the country. In the meantime, you cannot leave your host country for more than 6 months a year.

You can only be absent for more than 6 months in special situations such as: fulfilling military obligations, pregnancy or childbirth, serious illness, studies, vocational training or secondment to another country for professional reasons. Even then, the absence limit is 12 months.

Other important information

Driver’s license

Your driving license is valid in other EU countries

Social Security and Public Health

When you move to another EU country, you retain the right to health and social security cover. To find out which country is responsible for this cover, your place of residence and employment situation will be taken into account, not your nationality. Here’s how to assess your case.

We recommend that you always obtain your European Health Insurance Card.


You will be able to vote and stand as a candidate in the local and European elections in the new country. However, you won’t be able to vote or stand as a candidate in other elections, such as the legislative and presidential ones.

Taking the Car

If you plan to live in the new country for more than 6 months and decide to take your car with you, you will have to register the vehicle in that country and start paying the corresponding road and vehicle registration taxes.

In the new country you should:

  • register the vehicle
  • change your license plate
  • provide proof that you own the car and a valid roadworthiness test certificate
  • pay car registration and road taxes in the new country

In your country of origin:

  • cancel car registration
  • hand in the registration form
  • provide proof of ownership of the car and a valid roadworthiness test certificate
  • submit a claim for a refund of car registration tax already paid


As a rule, you will have to pay taxes in the country where you have your tax residence.

But be aware! There are many bilateral agreements that define the rules for taxation between the various countries, and they are different from each other. In some cases, your income may be taxed by two countries (double taxation), but most countries have made agreements to avoid this problem.

Obtaining CRUE with the help of an advice agency

Even if your move takes place within the European Union, you’ll need to be aware of the legal differences and agreements between countries, especially with regard to taxes, labor and social issues. When planning your trip, be sure to check with the competent bodies what details you need to take into consideration to ensure that you comply with all the rules and to avoid fines and future problems.

Atlantic Bridge can help you not only to obtain your European residency, but also with your tax planning, as well as taking care of all the bureaucracy associated with the process. Talk to our consultants and rest assured that you are acting in accordance with the law, guaranteeing your peace of mind!




Atlantic Bridge

You may also like:

Advantages of Spanish Citizenship

Advantages of Spanish Citizenship: free movement in the Schengen Area, access to Spain's social services, work and study opportunities in Europe, etc.


Atlantic Bridge

Reading: 3 min

1 de July, 2024

Brazilian Doctors May Recognise their Diploma in Portugal


Atlantic Bridge

Reading: 5 min

27 de June, 2018

10 Hotels in Porto: Meet Our Suggestions

We have gathered 10 suggestions of excellent hotels for all styles and budgets, in and around the Historic Center of Porto.


Atlantic Bridge

Reading: 8 min

17 de May, 2023

Is Portugal a good place to live? See if the country is for you

Has Portugal ever been in your plans? Or is it a new dream? It is certain that the country has become the destination of many foreigners.


Atlantic Bridge

Reading: 11 min

13 de December, 2022

Portugal is the Best European Destination in 2022

Portugal was once again considered the best European destination, according to the World Travel Awards, the "Oscar" of world tourism.


Atlantic Bridge

Reading: 3 min

17 de October, 2022

Portuguese Citizenship by Residency: New Rules

Portuguese Citizenship by time of Residency is possible after legally residing in the country for a period of 5 years.


Atlantic Bridge

Reading: 7 min

28 de February, 2024